Friday, February 11, 2011

Save us from ourselves - Teen texting

I'll be the first person to admit I'm easily..... sorry, distracted. Put me behind the wheel of a car and you better have all your business in order because its always a thrill to see if we make it from point A to point B; add a cell phone to this already potent mix, and boy do we have a path straight to disaster. 

According to a report by Amanda Lenhart, texting by adults has increased from 65% receiving texts in September 2009 to 72% in May 2010. But adults are still dwarfed by 12 - 17 year olds who send five times more text messages than adults. Adults receive about 10 text messages per day where as teens receive about 50. There are only so many hours in a day so this leads me to wonder, how many of those 50 text messages come while those old enough to operate a vehicle are driving? 

Many teens think texting and driving is OK because nothing really bad has ever happened to them, so they crossed the middle line (it was only a little) or ran up on a curb (there was no one there anyway). But just like gambling, your luck will surely run out. At some point it is going to happen and close calls are going to turn into calls to an insurance agency. Teens have a feeling of invincibility and I'll admit I sometimes think that way too. Bad things happen to other people because they aren't careful like I am, right? For your viewing pleasure I have found a little snippet that makes ideas like the one I just presented seem sheepish.





But there are people trying to find ways to discourage texting while driving and other distracted driving habits. There is an app that disables your cell phone when you drive so it can only take voice commands, gadgets that can detect when your car is straying from the lane markers and good old-fashioned laws. In fact, a bill just passed in the North Dakota House of Representatives on Tuesday banning texting and driving and handing out a $100 fine and a 2-point penalty on their license for anyone caught. A news station in Vermont followed up it's states ban on using electronic devices while driving by interviewing students at a local high school and the students felt that the law went a little too far. 

"I wouldn't be a fan of that because I know I use, well, I try not to text and drive but I have my iPod on." said senior Jessica Cota. "I don't know if that would work for me. No one will obey it. It's not going to happen, just like no cell phones in school, that didn't happen either."

Teen sentiments on texting bans are strong but I think it is because technology, such as cell phones, have become so engrained in their lives that when lawmakers take something as constant and something as attached as a cell phone away from them, its like cutting of an arm. But other states, as well as many other countries have rules in place that keep their constituents from even holding a cell phone while driving and they have managed. I think we need to set some ground rules for cell phone use and although it may be hated in the beginning I believe teens will eventually come to accept it. But it is obvious that because cells phones are starting to become so inseparable from our lives it is clear we need to find another way to keep us from hurting ourselves. 



2 comments:

  1. Very relevant topic! I love the opening line as well, it's a great way to catch the readers attention and keep it. I liked how you included statistics showing how texting and driving is still on the rise. The way that you included links to applications and gadgets to help with this issue will be helpful for anyone who comes across your blog.
    I'm guilty of texting and driving myself so thanks for informing me that it's now illegal in North Dakota, you may have saved me a ticket!

    I found three grammatical errors throughout the post, all of which are minor and would not have been caught by the spellcheck (It happens to me to). I would suggest a careful proofread before the post and possibly the use of at least one more visual multi-media.

    Overall, very pertinent information and something that people should be more cautious of.
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the format of your blogs. The introductions you use catch my attention and in this post you went straight into the hard facts. The report you cited and linked to seemed credible in their sampling of over 3000 Americans. That girl in the video I believe is a good example of a teenage heavy texter. There were a few spelling and grammar errors with the use of its vs. it's and Deception in the title of your most recent blog. I'd suggest a quick proofread right before you post it like Wade said.
    I totally agree with your idea for some new ground rules on texting while driving. But I think laws (and those interesting apps you pointed out) can only do so much. We as a society have become so connected and mobile that some of us risk our lives just to be immediately available. It’s scary!

    ReplyDelete